Tuesday 22 January 2013

Tips when writing to a Death Row Inmate

When I first started to look into writing to inmates, I read a lot of advice on various websites about what to include and what to say. These are my thoughts after writing and receiving several letters.

Your first letter should be light and chatting, just telling them a bit about yourself. I was worried about what to say and what they might say back, but all my letters have been gratefully received  and as they ask me questions and answer any of mine, so far I have found them very easy to write and a pleasure to receive. 

A lot of people are worried about using their home address, but the advice I read said not to worry, as your pen pal is on death row, so isn't likely to be leaving prison, unless of course they are found to be innocent, in which case, you have nothing to worry about. Also as I am writing from so far away, I don't feel it is an issue for them to know where I live. My husband, on the other hand, is not happy that I have done this, so perhaps I should have spoken about it first. 

Other useful advice was that if you have more than one pen pal, make sure they are in different prisons, and also not to talk about your other pen pals as tis can result in fights.

 I also read that it may be an idea to offer to send stamps, so I did that in my introduction letter. In hindsight, perhaps this is not such a good idea. Of the 5 replies I received, one said that I could order stamps to be sent direct to him, one said that they could only receive care packages and gave me the details should I be interested, although he did not ask me to send anything, one said that the inmates had to buy stamps from the prison canteen, but they could be sent money, but he emphasised that he did not know me well enough to ask for money, one said he couldn't receive stamps, but would just make sure he worked up enough to get a stamp in time to reply to my letters, and the final reply ( the inmate from whom I have now received 2 letters) did not mention my question at all. The inmate who said stamps can be sent to him mentioned that they can be sent no more than 60 in one go. I have written back saying I could probably send a book of 6 every now and then, so I will see what happens with that. I guess the purpose of mentioning this is that perhaps I would feel less awkward if I simply hadn't mentioned the stamps in the first place, but waited until I had established a friendship without the pressure of the stamps hanging over us. I have told them all that I do not have a lot of money and can only offer them friendship. So contrary to the advice I read, I would not make any offers of stamps or anything else. 

Other advise was to make it clear if you are not after any romantic relationship, so I made it clear that I am a happily married woman only looking to extend the hand of friendship in my introductory letters. Also I included a photo of myself  inserted into the word document I was creating, so that the inmate could see what I look like to make the letter more personal.

Finally, I asked about photos, etc that I could send and any other rules of which I should be aware. It is wise to write the inmate name and number on each page, and on the back of any photos you send once you have established what you an send. The envelope must have the inmates name and DOC number on it, and your return address must be in the top right corner on the front of the envelope. Also, many prisons to not allow stickers, tape of any sort, or perfumed paper to be used, so best to avoid that if you want to ensure your letter isn't returned to you or destroyed.

There are many websites which offer advice and list inmate pen pal requests. If you choose to open your heart and write to an inmate, I hope you find it a great experience, but remember that this is a commitment and you must be willing to continue writing, as your pen pal will look forward to your letters and may be very disappointed if you suddenly sever contact without a reason.

11 comments:

  1. I wrote to my first ever prison pen pal, who happens to be on death row. Mailed it on April 4th or 5th, the letter from my new pp was dated 4/12 and I received it on the 17th. Very fast. I was not expecting a response at all, let alone a 5 page letter (front and back)
    I wrote back instantly without hesitation. Now I'm just excited to get another letter.
    This blog entry is really helpful, I followed some of the advice and felt confident in how to go about it.

    Thanks a lot. :)

    One tip that I read somewhere else that really is important I think, is that don't write a prisoner on death row if you have no intention on responding after a few letters. It can be hurtful to the pen pal with just cutting them off from communication.

    Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad this was helpful. your point about not writing unless you intend to keep it up is very valid, thanks.

      Glad you got a response so quickly. Enjoy your new friendship :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this article. you lot of great work in the community. with the need for the districts to have website and clubs too must have a website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pen Palling especially among inmates is a very important socialization tool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,
    I too found your article very informative. I was wondering where I could find a legitimate list of death row inmates to write to. Some of the websites that say they are prison pen pal websites, look a little sketchy, so I am a little reluctant to respond start writing to a fictitious person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Voices for Death Row inmates are very good, http://voicesfordeathrowinmates.org/contact-us/
    They are also on Facebook, and are very friendly and willing to help.
    https://www.facebook.com/VoicesForDeathRowInmates

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi.
    I am a 16 years old girl from Europe, and I really want to write a death row inmate, but i have no idea how should i tell it for my parents. I think it would be weird if I only say:
    Mum, I want a death row inmate! (mainly because in our country there is no death penalty )
    Don't you have any idea how should i tell them?
    Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I suggest having an open and honest discussion with your parents about the death penalty and your reasons for wanting to write, although please be aware that many pen pal sites don't allow anyone under 18 to write to inmates. It is not something to enter into lightly and many of your friends may not understand why you want to do it.

    Chat to your parents about the death penalty in general, and let them know why you are against it. Maybe watch a film about the subject with them (like "Dead Men Walking", for example). Once you have explained your feelings about it, it may open a dialogue about you writing to a pen pal, but it might be worth waiting a few years before you do. Please be aware that it is a very emotive subject and at times it is a hard journey. It is something that you should try to be objective about, as it is easy to get swept up in the emotional journey and the emotions involved in writing are not always easy to understand. Having said that, it is very rewarding, but their are people out there who will take advantage of your friendship, as life in prison is very tough. Do your research before you commit to anything, and do let your parents know what you are doing.

    Where in Europe are you? I am in the UK, and a great site for pen pals is Voices for Death Row Inmates, and Abolition UK are also a good site (they are both on Facebook) and can be contacted through their pages.

    I wish you luck, and hope the conversation with your parents goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. :)
    Thanks for the answer. :)
    I read a book now, and that book is the reason of my intrest about death punishment. When I'll finish it, maybe I'll give it for my mum. By the way my parents are not dismissive or something, they are really understanding, so I don't know why this creats complications for me.
    Otherwise I did some researches, so I've read a lot of websites ( but I'm not finished yet), and that's the way I found your blog. I going to see the film you've offered, and I found a few more I want to see.


    I live in Hungary, so that's the reason I used the wrong tense sometimes. ( In English class we're talking about the teacher's little son, of course in Hungarian, so I learn English about series, films, and songs, but I'm trying... )

    Thanks again for everything, and the wishes, I am sure that someday I going to write letters for a death row inmate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi to all of you ☺

    I'm a 30 year old female, engaged with 2 children from Switzerland.

    As many of you, I have a strong intention to find a death row pen pal to write to. I have been looking around on websites and also found somebody I really like and want to write with. My only problem is this stamp thing... I live in Switzerland which lies in the center of europe. Which also means, that posting letters from the US to Switzerland will be expensive for my pen pal. How do all the europeans on this site manage that. I would really feel guilty for that person, having to spend so much money on just one letter. Sending money will also be kind of complicated I guess with all the restrictions there are. Please can someone give me some advice on how to manage this. Thank you so much in advance.

    Greetings out of CH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm from Canada, and I've used JPay.com to get around the international stamp problem. It is helpful for a couple of reasons:

      a) you can send money for the prisoner to use for stamps. I usually only send about $5 at a time - which is enough to cover 2 or 3 letters.

      b) you can actually reply to a prisoner's letters (provided the institution allows it) via JPay's email service.

      The emails are printed out and given to the inmates. They cannot respond electronically, but your reply will be received much faster (and much cheaper!) than if you were to mail a letter from Switzerland (usually within 48 hours).

      Hope this helps!

      Delete